Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Sacred Cow

Okay, weird title, I realize that, but there is a funny story to go along with this! Today in Spanish, we got our countires that we're supposed to do our Country Reports on. My friend, Miranda and I got the country Peru. Oddly enough, in Peru, they eat Guinea Pigs. I had a very interesting day... On a side note, a couple of strange things that happened today: I learned how to swear in German... not that I ever will, but I did learn what the word is. I'm not going to say it, but I now how to say that in 3 languages: Spanish, English, German... I will never say them though. I also learned that there were a few people at my school that were suspended, because they were stupid. Mr. Sweeten (my spanish teacher) showed us some powerpoints, and I can't even being to tell you how bad I wanted to edit the grammar in some of them. Anyway, back to Peru. My teacher told me that he wanted me to bring roasted guinea pig. I thought it was disgusting, and I am not bringing toasted guinea pig to school. I was talking to my dad about it, and Sydnee said it was no different than us in America eating pigs as bacon. I told her that it was just their culture. I also told her about how eating dogs is part of the culture in Korea and the Phillippines. Sydnee and I were talking about how crazy it is that they do that in those countries. My dad said that we don't even want to know what India thinks about America eating cows. I didn't know that in India, the people worship cows, as if they're a God. Isn't it funny how different the culture of the different countries around the world are? I suppose things would be boring if every culture was the same...

No comments: